Thursday, January 3, 2013

Homemade Smoothies, Almond Flour Fish Sticks & Sweet Potato Fries

Matt and I have been on the Elimination Diet for about 8 days now - actually, today being the 8th day. So far I've lost about 5 pounds and he has lost 4 or 5 also!! (In case you're wondering what the diet entails, here is a link to a similar diet.) Yesterday we had indian red curry with chicken, and the day before, I made Thai Green Curry with chicken and basmati rice.

When you start eating this way, you don't remember why you haven't ALWAYS eaten this way! My energy has literally been through the roof, and I have felt emotionally lighter and happier. I locked my keys out of my car this morning and had a stressful morning, but I didn't let that dictate the rest of my day. I've found that throughout this elimination diet, it's been so much more than a diet. The amount of time I have because I am not vegging out on the couch or sitting around all night is changing every aspect of my life.

Here are some of the delicious and creative recipes we came up with tonight!

I was inspired to make this smoothie by a local juice bar called Prasad.
It's the exact recipe of their Superberry smoothie with strawberries, marionberries,
goji berries, chia seed, almond milk, Greener Grasses powder, and a little agave on top.

This is what your ketchup should have in it: tomato paste, vinegar, and flavors.
Sugar does not belong in ketchup... and this one is really tasty.

Okay, it's not restaurant presentation, but these almond flour coated fresh cod fish sticks
were incredibly filling and delicious. You can't tell the difference between using
almond flour and white (wheat) flour, except you still have energy and you feel great
after eating these, as opposed to being ready for bed. 


Enough to make more fresh ones tomorrow night!

These sweet potato fries were easy and fast. Although, that recipe says 400 degrees,
and I had to turn my oven up to 500 to get them nice and crispy.
Matt made them, and he did an amazing job with them!

Hey, this isn't Food Network, ok? But it was worth blogging about!

Greener grasses is crack for raw vegans or any other health nut out there
looking for a natural source of lasting energy. 
Greener Grasses is packed full of nutrients - think wheat grass juice shot without the bitter aftertaste.

15 calories for one tablespoon.
One tablespoon added to a smoothie is as good as a shot of coffee!

Enough for tomorrow's lunch.

If you haven't tried Goji Berries before, these crunchy little berries have a flavor profile similar to dates, but crunch like no other dried fruit I've ever tried. I added them to a smoothie and the cold temperature of the smoothie turned them into little pops of candy!

No comments:

Post a Comment