Sunday, March 24, 2013

Down 24 Pounds - What Have I Been Eating!?

Hello Everyone!

I recently posted a picture of my weight loss progress on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook and a few people have already asked me how I've lost 24 pounds - 14 of those in the last 6 weeks!

As some of you may know if you are friends or family, I've had a long history of weight fluctuations throughout my life. I reached my highest weight right before my wedding last August (great timing, I know). Here is the before and after comparison:

Highest weight, August 2012, on left. Current weight (-24 pounds - and back in the 100's!) on right

A side by side of my face shape/jawline before and after losing 24 pounds

Here are some pictures of what I have been eating to lose the weight!

My sisters were amazed that I was able to order a Rueben sandwich with no bread
at a local German restaurant. (Lol!) Since I am gluten-free,
I often order typical restaurant fare without the bun/bread/etc - and I love it that way!
Here's what you get instead - delicious plate of corned beef, swiss cheese, sauerkraut and
German potato salad. (Although I typically avoid cheese, it's okay for me in moderation.)
A fancy homemade meal consisting of quinoa, blackened chicken breast,
avocado, and cherry tomatoes. I was inspired to make this from reading this post by one of my favorite beauty gurus, Annie Jaffrey.

I came up with this Green Chicken Chili recipe because I absolutely LOVE New Mexican flavors.
I wanted to make a green chicken chili that was healthy and hearty.
This one consisted of poblano peppers, pinto beans, onions, garlic, ground chicken,
and a flavorful broth made from chicken stock and canned green chilies I threw into a food processor.
Top with fresh avocado - Only 400 calories per serving and incredibly satisfying.


I must admit, this is not how I am eating anymore! When I first started tracking
on MyFitnessPal again (around January), I was eating many of my favorite (gluten free) comfort foods.
This is Udi's gluten-free flax-chia bread french toast (homemade).

My all-time favorite coconut milk is the Vanilla Unsweetened So Delicious.
You can find it in the organic section at most grocery stores, or at any natural foods retailer
(Whole Foods, PCC, New Seasons, etc.)

One of my go to snacks is a hearty hummus with celery and carrots. I used to hate
celery and carrots, but when you eat them with hummus, you can actually taste the flavor
of the vegetables and the hummus so much more than if you had it with salty, greasy chips.

Another staple in our house these days is KALE! Kale is so amazing for you.
Besides it's health benefits though, it really holds up in recipes and cooking. If you
aren't a spinach fan (like me), you will love kale. It has a hearty flavor and a firm texture when heated.
I use this kale recipe every time I make kale.

I adapted this beautiful chili recipe from the Wazzu Tailgate Chili recipe. Since I have
been eating a more low-starch diet recently, I omit the beans from time to time. I've also
switched out ground turkey for ground beef and it always tastes just as good to me.
One serving is around 500 calories (about a cup and a half) - if you eat this for lunch,
you are sure to be content until dinner. :)

These are soooo expensive at New Seasons, which is the Portland natural grocery store
(less expensive than Whole Foods but just as clean and organized). This brand is fantastic -
but these run about $7 for just 2-3 ounces!

Kale chips are amazing because they maintain the true crunch of  chips or nuts
without packing a huge calorie punch. Although most commercial kale chips are coated
in a nut-nutritional yeast mixture to give it a cheese-like flavor, the calories can't compare
to that of regular potato or tortilla chips.

My go-to treat! These are made with sesame seeds, sugar and/or honey. Each packet
contains about 4 sesame snaps and usually costs about 200 calories. The overall sugar
content is low, so I find them perfect to include in my low-sugar lifestyle as an occasional splurge.

Fruit doesn't have to be boring :) try making a homemade banana ice cream (super easy)
and topping it with some of your favorite treats - or more fruit - for a vitamin-rich, high-fiber alternative to commercial ice creams.

Did you ever think cauliflower could be turn into RICE!? Try it for yourself here!
Also pictured: 2 giant, organic chicken breasts bathing in a crock pot full of
melted Earth Balance (dairy free, soy free butter spread), chicken stock, fresh, garlic, parsley,
and, not pictured, lemon slices. SO easy - cook on low for 7-8 hours in your crock pot,
and lunch will be ready for you tomorrow morning!

Green beans with bacon and onion, sauteed in the bacon fat.

Lemon Sage Steak from GirlMeetsPaleo - check out her blog, she's amazing!

Super easy sugar free peanut butter thumbprint cookies:
1 cup all-natural, no sugar added peanut butter
1 cup Splenda or your sweetener of choice (Erythritol is really good)
1 egg, 1 tsp vanilla extract
Combine all ingredients, shape into 16-20 balls.
Using the back of a tablespoon, indent a hole in the middle of the cookie.
Fill with your favorite low-sugar jam or sugar-free chocolate.

I LOVE THIS ALMOND MILK!!!
I am not kidding  - this is hands down the BEST almond milk
available on the market! I drink it straight from the bottle.
Califia Farms is expanding rapidly, but it is are currently available at most natural food retailers and Whole Foods.

These muffins were adapted from a low-carb, grain-free muffin recipe I found online.
They turned out amazing - I will be posting a full recipe for them!

Romantic dinner I made my husband and I last night. Fried pork chop, roasted cauliflower,
and a giant mixed-greens salad with peppers, cucumber, tomato, radish, avocado, and
homemade lemon-sage-honey dressing. Oh, and wine, of course.

MIRACLE 1 carb, high fiber, grain free, sugar free, dairy free, gluten free, and VEGAN (!!!)
chocolate chip cookies.
I can't reveal the recipe because my husband and I are going to try to market them (they are that good)!! 
Overall Diet/Lifestyle Summary

As you can see, the food I've eaten has been plentiful - I am not on a fad diet or going gluten-free because of a trend. I actually have a severe intolerance to gluten - an intolerance I ignored for years, even though I knew those foods did not make me feel good.

My diet is 100% free of gluten, soy, refined grains, processed foods, some nuts, coffee, and most chocolate. I eat dairy occasionally but only very rarely, as dairy affects my hormone levels (I have PCOS, so I have to be really careful with hormone balance. The wrong foods for me means cystic acne, dry skin, cankersores, stomach aches, bloating, and other very uncomfortable symptoms.) It is a very challenging way to live, but this is what makes me feel best and I believe it's what's best for me personally. 

I hope you found this post helpful and inspiring, and I hope that anyone reading will also find what works best for them - it's not the same for everybody. But everybody can agree that wholesome, homemade foods are what gives us life, energy, and happiness.


No comments:

Post a Comment