Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Interview With Celebrity Makeup Artist Kimberley Bosso

         

I am honored to interview the beautiful and talented Kimberley Bosso - a well-known celebrity makeup artist, teacher, and founder of Bosso Intensive Makeup School, located in Hollywood, California. Kimberley's students fly into Hollywood from from all around the globe to obtain certification from Bosso Intensive, which is taught by Kimberley herself.

Kimberley's passion for the beauty industry and her ability to inspire those around her makes her one of the most sought after makeup artists in Hollywood. Kimberley frequently travels and is always spending her extra time intensifying her skills and knowledge, which she shares exclusively in her private makeup classes. And she juggles all these priorities with a 1 year old on her arm!

Becky: Thank you so much for taking the time to speak with me. Let's start with how you got into the makeup industry - what inspired you to become a makeup artist?

Kimberley: I've always loved the beauty industry. Fashion, makeup, hairstyles, art direction, etc. Anything that was creative was right up my alley. My inspiration comes from all avenues; maybe it's a song that moves me, a film, walking through the streets of Paris, my own personal story, or my baby boy's happy face. I'm inspired by a variety of subjects.

Becky: When I was younger, my friends and I would play with our mom's makeup and give each other "makeovers". Growing up, what did you want to do for a living? If it wasn't makeup artistry, what led you to cosmetics and makeup?

Kimberley: My journey into the makeup world started on a whim to enroll in makeup school as a backup plan. Shortly after graduating, I dove into independent films, but fell disinterested in the long hours. I then went on to work in editorial with one phone call from a photographer that threw me my first celebrities. It was exciting - even though I was still paying my dues, and working for little money at the time. 
   
I really didn't fall in love with makeup until I traveled to Europe; specifically Paris, where everything is oh-so-chic! I pulled a lot of style and creativity out of Paris. It was very inspiring.
   
I wasn't one of those little girls who loved makeup; I was curious about it, but not obsessively playing with it. I loved to be beautified, but to beautify someone else - totally wasn't my interest! I was more into dance classes and piano. Now I can't walk into Sephora (or any makeup store) without leaving with a bag full of all the latest!! I'm a makeup junkie and researcher. It's my job, and I love what I do.
   
Becky: With your high profile clientele, what is the latest or biggest trend you see or the most requested "look"?
   
Kimberley: The most requested look I get is either the Kim Kardashian smokey eye, or "red carpet" glowing skin like Beyonce or Jennifer Lopez. These techniques and more are all taught at my makeup school.

                  
Some of the most highly requested celebrity looks

Becky: When you look back at makeup trends throughout the years, especially in Hollywood, what are some of the trends you are happy are no longer popular?
  
Kimberley: The most unsightly makeup look was the "ghetto fabulous" look of dark liner on the lips and lighter lipstick. Or the matte lipstick look was never my favorite either.
   
Becky: I couldn't agree more with that one! While you're traveling around the globe, promoting products and teaching, how do you find the energy and inspiration to pursue your passion in this industry? What motivates you?
  
Kimberley: I find motivation through many sources, but I can honestly say I was born with a ton of energy so I started off a little ahead of the game. But now being a mother to a very energetic 1 year old, I have a many of sluggish days indeed! 
   
Plenty of sleep is mandatory nowadays, which is scarce for me so I truly rely on juicing raw veggies and kundalini yoga/meditation to keep me centered, which gives me the energy I lack on certain days. I'm also a huge fan of Deepak Chopra and his book "The 7 Spiritual Laws of Success", which motivates me when I'm in a rut in my head. The best motivation though is looking at my son's smiling face every morning! He is pure love and pure inspiration.
   
Becky: Social media is highly recognized as a means to promote businesses and give makeup artists a great way to connect. How are you or have you found social media to better connect you to others in the makeup and beauty industry? Has in benefited you?
   
Kimberley: Social media can be a wonderful tool. I didn't jump on the band wagon when it first came out. Actually I was sort of against it at first, until a friend of mine created some accounts for me, convincing me it was beneficial. I was reluctant at first, but now I have a totally new perspective. I think social media is and has been an amazing catalyst for my makeup business. I tell my students all the time to take advantage of these wonderful means that can propel their careers to the next level.
  
Becky: What is the most requested beauty product you are asked about?
  
Kimberley: The most requested beauty product I'm asked about is how to achieve perfect skin. This is my forte and what I'm known for (besides the smokey eyes I do).
   
I teach my students about the importance of skin care and how it all starts from the inside out. What you put in your body shows on your face! Period! A hydrating or oil-free moisturizer is essential and a good foundation or tinted moisturizer like Dermalogica's Tint or Armani's Silk Foundation. Clients should take it easy with the powder - it only creates a "done" or "flat" look, which is not the most flattering if you are going for a youthful glow.
   
Becky: If you could create a "wonder product" that worked a cosmetic miracle with each use, what would you create?
  
Kimberley: I'm actually working on a skin care product and an incredible foundation line. I have high hopes it will make skin glow and yet minimize pores and fine lines, all while being lightweight and creating a flawless look.
  
Becky: With the 2013 Oscars right around the corner, what trends do you anticipate will show up on the red carpet? 
   
Kimberley: I predict we'll be seeing lots of red lips of various shades, as well as lush lashes and strong brows and liner. Spring fashion week we saw lots of these trends as well as green and blue color on eyes, but we'll see if any celeb is daring enough to do such a thing on the red carpet. With the right hair hair and wardrobe, bold makeup can fare pretty well and tie it all together.

                   
Taylor Swift's red lip has increased popularity of the iconic red lip, reminiscent of the 50's and 60's.
  
Becky: What type of programs are offered at your school?
   
Kimberley: Students come from all over the world to attend my makeup school in Los Angeles. I get a ton of Australians and Canadians, but have also had students from Hong Kong, Indonesia, Ireland, Sweden, Norway, Japan, Guatemala, and Mexico City, to name a few - that's not including the girls across the U.S.! I'm very fortunate to meet such amazing students from around the globe and hear about their goals and aspirations in the makeup world. 
 When I'm working in their country, we have lunch and sometimes even do a shoot together. It's been a blessing meeting such lovely, creative people. The requirements to enter my school are quite simple. I ask that you have a passion and love for makeup.  It's starts there,and then all my techniques, tips and tricks come into it to make each aspiring artist her best.  
    
In my 6 day intensive makeup course, students will learn all facets of beauty makeup, including airbrush foundation application. This is an intensive course designed for all levels. I only admit a maximum of 4 students so they get the most meticulous attention and the best makeup training available. 
   
All information including curriculum, price, and enrollment for Bosso Intensive Makeup School can be found on my website.

                        

Kimberley with two of her recent graduates.
Read more of her student testimonials here.

Becky: What one piece of advice would you give to young makeup enthusiasts out there?
  
Kimberley: My advice to young makeup enthusiasts or aspiring artists, is keep evolving and learning in this ever changing business. It's also very important to keep moving forward. This town (Hollywood) is a number game. Any facet of the entertainment industry, acting, writing, modeling, makeup artistry, producing... it's all a number game. Let all the other people quit. YOU, yourself, don't give up and your number will come up. All the people quitting and going back home, they are just making more room for you to come into the limelight and shine.





Interested in registering for Kimberley's classes? Contact Kimberley below:

Bosso Intensive Makeup School:
7510 W. Sunset Blvd. #1003
Los Angeles, CA, 90046

Phone: 310.415.4885

E-mail & Press Inquiries:
bossomakeup@gmail.com
kimberley@kbosso.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/bossomakeup
Twitter: https://twitter.com/bossomakeup

5 comments:

  1. Pooja Goel is a world renowned Celebrity Makeup Artist in Delhi. She is the founder of Khoobsurat Beauty Salon. Having tremendous experience in this domain, she knows very well how to provide you attractive look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this important information. I read your blog in which you describe each point clearly and wonderfully. We also write a blog on Best Salon in Delhi by which you can get luxury bridal makeup services by Best Makeup Artist in Delhi. For more info you can visit the site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing this post, I appreciate your work. It was a great informative post. Go so many useful and informative links. Loved your writings also.
    Best Salon in Delhi
    Best Bridal Makeup Artist in Delhi
    Best Salon in Palam

    ReplyDelete