Friday, January 20, 2012

Smoothies

Matthew always says I make the most incredible smoothies. I don't really have a secret - I just throw a bunch of stuff in a blender. But it does always somehow turn out to be insanely good! ;)

Matt and I were both really into a vegan/raw food lifestyle. I have been vegetarian at various times in my life, but never truly stuck with living a completely vegetarian lifestyle, although after being vegetarian and reverting back to some meat consumption, I've realized how drastically my consumption of animals products has dropped as a whole. With that said, I try to implement some of the ingredients from my raw vegan phase into these smoothies.

Here is one that's pretty simple and easy to make. I added greek yogurt, but to make it vegan, you can omit this part and add additional frozen fruit or use an almond/coconut/soy yogurt to make it vegan. Just make sure to get plain yogurt - commercial yogurts have a ton of unnecessary refined sugar.

Breakfast Calories Fat Protein Carbs Sugar Sodium
Giant Brand - Mixed Frozen Berries, 3/4 - 1 Cup 49 0 1 12 8 0
Bob's Red Mill - Whole Ground Flax Seed Meal, 3 tbsp 90 7 5 6 0 0
Dole - Pitted Dates, 6 dates 138 0 0 38 31 0
Blue Diamond - Unsweetened Almond Milk, 1/2 - 1 Cup         30 2 1 1 0 90
Fat Free Greek Yogurt Total 0% (1 cup) 65 0 12 5 5 43
Bananas - Raw, 1/2 medium  53 0 1 13 7 1  

Here is the nutritional breakdown:
425 calories
9 gram fat
74 grams carbohydrates
18 grams protein
15 grams fiber

I like drizzling the top with agave nectar and sliced almonds. I actually lost weight when I ate raw, because of how much water is in raw fruits and vegetables and how little sodium are in natural, whole foods.

Have any of you tried or had success on a raw vegan diet or just a vegan diet? If so, how was your experience?









No comments:

Post a Comment