Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Why I Decided on Veganism

Recently, my boyfriend Matthew and I have taken a huge step in the direction toward Veganism after watching a documentary called "Earthlings". Yes, it's one of those horrifically sad documentaries where they show animals being slaughtered and dolphins suffocating and chickens having their beaks seared off. However, it was eye opening, and I have been considering for years going vegetarian before seeing this documentary. But Vegan? And considering my food allergies already? Not until I did my research.

My Mom used to say I was a natural vegetarian, because as a child, I would pick at the meat on my plate. Maybe it was just because she didn't cook it that well, or because I knew she was buying cuts from the discount rack at Grocery Outlet. (Just saying...) Either way, I have never really liked very many meats, including poultry and fish. Even most fish I am turned off by, although I will miss a good cut of salmon every now and then.

The reason being Vegan becomes a "big deal" to the people who are doing it is because it becomes a way of life. It's a lifestyle along with a diet, and it's also an ethical and moral way of living. Once you've seen the horrific way that animals are treated by the meat and dairy industries, just for the profits alone, it's not just a feeling of guilt you have when you're eating meat anymore - it's deeper than that. It's a feeling of disgust once you've seen the pain and suffering these animals go through when they are still alive. Shock, electrocution, branding on the face, and dark, cramped living spaces. Vegans (most of them) don't walk around preaching to the world about how "disgusting" meat eaters are, or how everyone should "convert". Veganism is not a cult; it is just a way of life that some people, including myself, have chosen to live (at least at this point in my life) for multiple reasons, the number one reason being that no animals should suffer the way they are just solely for human consumption and mass profits.

Since I am also gluten intolerant, being Vegan poses some issues for my health, which makes it difficult at times. I am not Vegan for health reasons, but more for ethical reasons at this point in time. Six months ago I thought that a high protein, low-carb diet was the sure way to go to stay perfectly healthy. Now, on the other hand, on a Vegan, plant based diet, I eat more carbs than ever, and I feel perfectly normal. I even lost weight initially when I decided to go Vegan. My point is that I am open to a change of heart, although this is where my heart is at the moment.

I would like to also note that my heart is not only in Veganism at the moment, but also in nutrition - specifically, Modified Nutrition, hence the title of this blog. I've become fascinated with the vast majority of people who's health problems are considerably helped by a modified or restricted diet of some sort - whether it be low carb, low fat, vegan, vegetarian, or whatever has worked for each individual. And I hope to eventually get a larger following of people who are interested in obtaining and sharing information on the subject of nutrition and modified diets, because I hope to work in that field eventually. I will be sharing a lot of tips and information (credible, most of it) on this blog, hopefully that will be able to spread to the masses and help those in need.

Thanks for stopping by, and stay tuned for more to come!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Becky!

    I was vegetarian for 13 years, have been vegan for almost three years now (for the animals-not health, although that is a plus!) and went gluten free two years ago.

    To me, being vegan is easy--gluten free, on the other hand, sucks! It's a constant worry of being careful, reading labels, trying to make restaurants understand what you mean, and explaining to friends and family that you are NOT doing this for the hell of it-but because you are sick of being sick!

    So I wish you good luck and good health and to let you know it is all worth it and it will get easier!

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana - thank you for your kind words of encouragement!It's always reassuring to hear from another GF vegan - it's like, okay - I CAN keep at this! By the way, congrats on being vegetarian for that long.

    I know what you mean about restaurants. To be honest, I rarely eat out anymore, unless it's a certified gluten free place (or has a GF menu). It took a long time (in my opinion) for my family to understand my food allergies, and on top of that choosing to be a vegan! It's difficult to explain sometimes, but personally, I feel better when I eat this way. Like you said, the outcome is worth it.

    Hope to hear from you again!

    -Becky

    ReplyDelete